Re: D-Two Looper Settings

on 7/15/02 1:02 AM, Anthony Justman at pantonio@pacbell.net wrote:

> "Overdubbing" is not quite the right concept with the D-2 b/c it's not
> really a true looper.  I believe that the feedback rate controls how
>quickly
> something decays, so if it's at 100% it's like setting the JamMan at 16
>in
> echo mode, in which case you can overdub.  So "overdubs" are possible, I
> guess, and it won't affect sample time.

That would probably match the definition of feedback from the EDP. If you
can deal with a little math, I'm pretty sure that the EDP and the D2 would
both be computing:

    new_loop_content = new_material + old_loop_content * feedback

The cool thing about the D2 is that you could presumably also use the
filters as part of the feedback process so that the signal not only got
quieter as it repeated but lost some of its frequency content.

(Oooh. I just had the vision of a "morphable feedback" for a looper. At 0%
it just gets rid of the old content. At 100% it keeps the old content
unchanged. At intermediate settings it could implement a variety of decay
functions. This could just be a matter of doing things like saying that the
high-frequency feedback is equal to the feedback squared so that the high
frequencies drop off faster. Not that you can do this on any loopers that I
am presently aware of.)

Mark