Re: mpx1 & mpx500

On Monday 15 July 2002 12:17, Paul Weissman wrote:
> anyone have experience with both or either of these?  (also)
> curious to hear what anyone has to say...

I have an MPX-G2 and looked for an additional box for extra reverb. I
loooove the G2, especially the great reverb and looong delay (20 secs
mono, 10 secs stereo).

Tried the MPX500 and the MPX1.

The MPX500 sounds different, the algo's are not identical to the G2.
It's nice but different and imo of a lower quality. The 500 produces
LOTS of noise, however, revealed when the lowpass filter is opened.
The noise was too much for me.

The MPX1 sounds very much like the G2, which isn't a surprise, as the
G2 was based on the MPX1, but updated with 24-bit hardware (ADDA),
and with added guitar effects of course. The interface of the MPX1 is
similar to the G2. The reverb algos are identical and produce the
same character. The noise level is similar to that of the G2 (good,
imo).

However, the aged ADDAs of the MPX1 could clearly be heard when
listening to the reverb tail. Using an exactly same algo on both
machines (a 10 sec hall), the MPX1 introduced conversion noise at
about 60% of the tail, while the G2 stayed clean all the way.
Especially for ambient productions, where I have stuff *swimming* in
my G2 reverb, the MPX1 would introduce way too much artifacts. So
even the mighty MPX1 could not meet my requirements, which was a big
surprise for me.

I finally got an TC M-one, which I'm starting to like more and more.
It has a *very* different reverb character (cleaner, more open and
neutral), but it sounds good. And when I find a second-hand MPX-G2
I'll buy it right away.

- Robert