Re: Attn: Matthias; Learning How to use the EDP?

Jeez, I'm getting clumsy - that was a premature send.  Um, take two:

"M. Steven Ginn" wrote:

> Sean I am fully aware that the EDP could be configured ad-infinitum, I
> was only wondering if there were some guidelines somewhere that I might
> use to set up my EDP initially.

http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP/2001.html
http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP/tg.html

I specifically designed these pages to reflect different applications
for the Echoplex using certain combinations of functions and parameter
setttings.  Certain types of combinations are more effective for
different types of approaches.

Matthias also has an excellent EDP tutorial written:

http://loopers-delight.com/tips/Plhints.html

Lots of great technical and conceptual ideas, especially for a newcomer
looking for a way to get their feet wet.

> As for the pre/post or the before EDP after EDP effects question, I have
> seen the posts how some have used one or the other, but not necessarily
> a great amount as to why you would want it one way or the other.

A few quick thoughts:

(Potential) advantages to effects before the EDP:

- Textural variety of sounds which occur within a single loop

- Get more milage out of your effects by using different
effects/settings for each different overdub

- Use effects to put each new element in a different textural/frequency
spot, so that the overall content of the loop is less congested.

Reasons to effect after the EDP:

- Turn what would be a static EDP loop into an evolving texture by
tweaking it with processing

- Turn the mono EDP into a stereo signal via pitch modulation, delay,
reverb, etc.

- Effects like reverb, delay, etc. can decay longer than the length of
the loop

- You're not stuck with the effect you used when you recorded it into
the EDP

Vis a vis these ideas, putting mono effects (stomp boxes and such)
before the EDP, and stereo effects after the box, is a nice approach...

And after trying this, then you can read about why I stopped using
effects altogether:

http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP/muso.html#effects

Anyway, hope that helps for starters.

--Andre LaFosse