Re: Re: Prerecorded Loops

Just one note for clarification.

I have NEVER played to a pre-composed "backing track"
(karaoke-style). That WOULD be deadly dull and boring.
I can't imagine why anybody (performer or audience)
would find THAT particularly interesting at all except
for just a few narrowly defined sorts of settings
("tape" concerts of electro-acoustic music being one
and more "dance/theatrical-oriented" performances
for another).

I've been using keyboard samplers and small table top
"phrase samplers" to trigger prerecorded loops that
interact with each other in odd ways. The timing, volume,
loop selection/juxtaposition and FX treatments that help
make the total sonic output a little less "static" sounding
are all still done very much LIVE.

This whole approach gives me a dependable and predictable
"starting place" for performances (when I want or need one)
but it also allows me to have a certain amount of very real-time
improvisational, compositional flexibility too. Mistakes CAN
still be made . . . "clams" still happen . . . and so can many
"happy accidents."

Part of the thrill of improvisation (for me) are those instances
of being "pleasantly surprised" at what is happening . . . when
you find yourself in unfamiliar territory and are still liking what
you're hearing/playing on some "gut" emotional level.

I don't know how I could achieve that in a totally preprogrammed
setting . . . though I am sure that some other folks possibly do.
So, I guess, THAT is where I draw the line for myself.

Best,

Ted Killian