Ease of learning/using the EDP, was RE: Repeater OS issues

Hi Matthias,

I have owned my EDP for about a month now (although I only got to play
it a couple of times before having to send it to Gibson for the "Err"
problem ... Btw, Shane says it will take him at least 2 weeks to even
get to it).  Anyway, the EDP seems fairly easy to use up front except
for a few things ...

First, trying to learn the best gain structure and use of the feedback
controls so that loops are built in a way that they maintain their
clarity without getting all mushy.

Second, learning the best way to incorporate the EDP within the overall
mixing scheme such as applying effects before the loop (do we cut off
reverb tails?) or after when we only have a single effects unit.

Third, when you see all the commands in the EDP manual such as
Quantize=On or RoundMode=Off and everyone on the loopers list refers to
these functions as if they were able to change them on the fly (I assume
with midi commands), the amount of possible button presses to accomlish
many different things begins to greatly exceed the standard EFC buttons
of "Record" "Overdub" "Multiply" "Insert" "Mute" "Undo" and "Next Loop".
I know a lot of people here use the EDP for different things, but if
these large number of various functions are meant to be static, I have
yet to see any recommendations as to standard recommended setups,
assuming that is possible.  Are there any recommended standard
configuration setups for the EDP?

M. Steven Ginn

P.S. I spoke with Shane Radtke at Gibson and according to him, they will
not be getting any Loop IV chips so I guess I have to order those
directly from Aurisis and install those myself when Gibson finally gets
finished fixing my 2 month old EDP.

Please go to
<www.SeptemberRising.org>
Listen to the music.