"Loop Philosophy" wasRe: Electrix/IVL petition

     I'm sure that we all have our own "Loop Philosophy". Stuart, I don't
think that your philosophy is strange at all. You've decided what works
for
you and gone on to make music. That's what's important. For me, the real
point to looping live is to create all of it on-the-fly. It may be
composed
loops (that you build from scratch every performance), structured improv,
or
just born out of the moment. I do really like to transform loops though.
My
favorite loop transformers are Reaktor3, CrusherX, and Spektral Delay. Up
until now this has been something for the studio only. I just got a Laptop
though, and I am looking forward to using this in live performance.
     In the studio, loops are great fodder for sound design. Some really
interesting rhythmic sounds can been generated by processing loops far
beyond
recognition. Drum loops are especially good for this. Synth tracks/loops
with
a lot of fast pitch  and/or filter modulation are great too. I do prefer
use loops that I have created myself though. I feel that even if the
resultant sound/soundscape is totally unrecognizable from the original,
the
musician who performed/programmed the loop being processed deserves credit
for providing the sonic starting point/inspiration.
     Of course, everyone will have their own variant of loop philosophy.
What's yours?
     Marc