RE: Loop IV: Substitute is awesome

At 05:46 AM 6/25/2002, M. Steven Ginn wrote:
>Kim,
>
>I know you said it doesn't matter whether the EDP is sync master or
>slave, but if you had a choice, which would be preferred?

I'm not sure how to answer that. Whether you use the EDP as the master or
the slave is really just a practical decision, depending on the
application
and what you are using it with.

what do you want to do with it?

>Can you describe how the EDP establishes tempo ... Is it via some sort
>of tap tempo or is it based on the length of the loop?

in general it is based on the length of the loop and the setting of the
parameter called 8ths/cycle, which determines how many 8th notes the basic
loop length (or cycle) is equal to. It is "tap tempo" to the extent that
you tap the beginning and end of the loop, but not really the same as what
is called "tap tempo" on other devices.

When the Echoplex is the sync master, this is really simple in use. You
just record your loop as you play, and when you end the loop it begins
sending clock and repeating your loop. Downstream sequencers, drum
machines, or other tempo based effects immediately start up in time with
you as you finish. So you don't need to know what the tempo is before you
play, which can be nice.

Now, If you have sync coming in from another device, either by midi clock,
BeatSync, or BrotherSync, the tempo is set by that sync signal and
displayed on the screen. Then when you record, your loop lengths will
match
that tempo.

Also, there is a new feature in LoopIV called Tempo Select, where you can
set the tempo in advance. You set it in BPM and the Echoplex determines
the
loop length for you. When you record, the loop length will automatically
go
the predetermined amount. In fact, it will neatly do multiples of that
length in real-time, so if you set it to 120BPM clock coming in and
8th/cycle set to 8, the display will show that the cycle length will be
2.0
seconds. Then when you record, if you let it go longer than 2 seconds you
will see the Multiple counter going up, effectively counting the bars for
you. You can then stop recording anytime you like and the cycle will be
neatly rounded off for you.

Also with Tempo Select, the Echoplex can start sending midi clock before
you record the loop, so you can trigger downstream sequencers in time with
your loop before you record it, while still having the EDP as the clock
master.

>   I also read
>somewhere that the EDP can even be used to establish tempo as master
>sync without even recording anything or actually looping.  How is this
>done?

that's the tempo select I just mentioned. Check the manual for specifics
of
how it is used:
http://www.aurisis.com/products/loopIV/LoopIVGuide.pdf

kim