Re: looping: a structural approch...

How about a two favorites of mine:

One I haven't done in a while, but a goodie, is to start something
fairly arhythmic, and droney.  But KILL your loop output as you're
making it.  Then slowly bring up the audio.  Surprise!  NOW DEAL WITH IT.

Second one, which I do all the time, is only possible with a Repeater.
Put a processor with a "high mangleage factor" (mangle factor of 7 or
higher is best) into the effects loop of the Repeater, then as you're
recording your loop, have it on the output of the loop.  With the
Repeater, you're effect will NOT be on the imput, so you'll only here
effected sound at the first iteration of your loop.  Again, it can be a
fun surprise.  If you're processor has a way to control parameters in
real time (almost all do) put your instrument down at some point, and
just spend time screwing around with the loop.  Later, for bonus, bring
the mix down to dry only, and find out what your uneffected loop sounds
like.  The Repeater doesn't actually apply the effect to your loop
unless you've got it set to be on the input, or you resample your loop.