Re: OT: CARP passed- this sucks.

At 10:29 PM 6/23/2002, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>What I was trying to illustrate was if this same thing happened to you,
>LD
>would die, or worse yet, get taken over by Time/AOL/Warner.

and what I'm illustrating back is that I don't think so. If the same
situation were applied here I see a variety of options and opportunities
that I could use to make it work for LD. It might mean I have to work a
bit
more at it than I do now, but I definitely don't see that as an impossible
situation.

>I guess my main issue isn't that the RIAA is trying to gather money for
>it's artists, that's actually a good thing.  It's just that I see the
>industry, and it looks very very lopsided to me.  It seems like 10% of
>the
>talent is making 99% of the money.  If SOMA FM gets charged .07 cents to
>play one of my songs, and then Sting ends up with .02 cents of it, that's
>NOT OK with me.

That shouldn't be ok with you. Does the law say that Sting gets part of
your money? I haven't read the law myself, but I really doubt it. If money
is collected for you and owed to you, then go demand it. You wouldn't be
the first person or the first set of laborers that had to scrap a bit to
make sure you get paid your fair share. If the RIAA got themselves signed
up to collect money for you, then it is their problem to see to it that
you
get paid your share. But if they don't pay you it is your problem to go
stick up for yourself and protect your own rights to that money. Nobody is
going to fight that battle for you, but if you ask me it seems like a
pretty easy battle.

kim