re: CARP Passed - This sucks!

Now here's a question:

Can a streaming radio station exist by playing only songs of consenting
artists and labels who are not affiliated with BMI/ASCAP?

There are enough good non-major-label artists who actually want their
music
to be heard to fill a huge number of stations in any genre, and I'd like
think there's a large enough audience that would be interested in hearing
stuff that they don't already hear on the radio.

I think the reason that the major labels made the effort to squash
internet
radio is that they feared they would no longer have control of all the
channels necessary to convince John Q. Average-American that the bands
marketed by them are the only ones worth hearing. That's why they didn't
make effort to charge the same rate to broadcast radio stations. 95% of
broadcast radio stations exclusively play major-label material.

Anyway, it would be nice if we could turn this into a case of the majors
shooting themselves in the foot. Wouldn't it be great if we said, "Ok,
well
since you're being such an asshole about it, we'll only play music by
artists/labels who are in it for the art and community from now on."

Matt