Re: The Best Live Drum Machine

Hey all, long time no see!

>      I didn't buy this as a drum machine, though it totally kicks the
llama's butt.  I bought it
> to replace my Proteus 2000 which I used as a sound module with both my
keyboard and my Axon guitar
> synth.  Basically, it's a 16 channel sequencer with an incredible user
interface for live
> manipulation.  Each of the 16 tracks can be punched in or out with
dedicated buttons.  16 knobs
> control volume or pan for each track, OR editing of 16 different
parameters of a selected internal
> sound, OR sending those 16 knobs out to control external gear via midi.

An alternate opinion: This is my main unit, and I've totally out grown the
sequencer. It's a toy! Then again, it doesn't have all that much
competition - apart from the RM1x by yamaha, (that I've been told has a
much
more full fledged sequencer and supposedly a terrible sound set - I haven't
tried it) theres only the Roland stuff. The sounds in the ROMs are very
nice.

The most kick ass drum machine available now? Reason. Load your own
samples,
assign sequencers to your computer keyboard or a midi controller. Mute and
solo single instruments (ie snare, bd, hihat etc) on the fly (also from the
keys or midi). Can't be beat. If only it would control external modules,
rather than just sending midi clock.... It's also stable - I've never had a
crash.

(You may notice, at my next gig, the presence of a laptop next to my xl-7
'command podium' :>)

>      To address the thread of keeping your "drum machine" sounding
interesting, I would suggest
> keeping your loops long.  The sequencer on this beast can play up to 32
measures (at any crazy
> time signature that you like) giving you the opportunity to play the same
thing over and over with
> subtle inflections and differences each time.  Let's say you have a 4/4
pattern at 4 measures
> long, you can repeat this segment 8 times before looping it.  Each track
can be quantized (or not)
> at a different quantization setting.

Yes, though you are then stuck with that 32 bar loop. A bit too much 'DJ'
me.

>      In a live situation, it is a 16 track looper, much like the
>Repeater,
though you can only use
> the internal sounds via midi (or external midi units too), as opposed to
audio looping.  First I
> set my loop length, start recording on track 1, (I can continue to add
more and more sounds as it
> comes back around) then switch to track 2 (with a different sound) and
layer that in etc.  I can
> transpose tracks on the fly, add modulation or pitch bend, mess with the
FX, trigger up to 16
> different arpeggiators, play the one octave keypads, alter the master
tempo in a variety of ways,
> the possiblities are legion.

Although, unlike a real looping box, you can't undo. This is a total
showstopper! I'm not laying down any loop live unless I can keep trying
till
I get it right. Especially with midi stuff, where 'artistic license' (ie
shitty playing) don't sound nearly as organic and musical when looped.

I found the arpeggios to be pretty much unuseable, myself, and programming
your own is too time consuming for practical use. I wish they could make
this easier, or at least provide some more general arpeggios - single note
'gate' riffs, filter sweeps and pans etc. The 'Beats' section is even more
bedroom.

>      I haven't tried this yet, though I could input all of the tracks
>from
my guitar synth, adding
> to the "live" aspect.  Combined with a midi foot pedal controller like
>the
FCB1010, many functions
> can be controlled via foot pedals.

If you can find the midi implementation specs. Sure, you can start and stop
the box, but note much else, until the specs are published. You can't
launch
tracks from another unit. There is no sound diver interface either - big
loss for the power user.

>      Unlike most midi gear that I've played with, the user interface on
this beast is very
> friendly (as opposed to almost anything else that Emu has produced since
they stopped doing the
> modular synth from the 70's.)  The support staff has been great as well.

Friendly? yes. but also simplistic. It's not a very ambitious unit. 16
tracks of on/off, plus filter sweeps, and lots of preset 'grooves'.

For $800, you get a 16 knob/16 button midi controller, a kick-ass Rompler,
mediocre sequencer and a moderatley useful one octave pad keyboard - a good
deal to me, especially if you have other gear to make up for it's short
comings. Make sure you listen to the various modules and find the one that
has the sounds for you. Also, be aware that you're going to end up buying
extra Roms for it. They're all too nice :>

>      Recently the price on the XL-7 and the MP-7 came down to $1,000
(street price), to match the
> Proteus 2500.  Both the XL-7 and the MP-7 have the one octave keypads
>with
aftertouch, a
> touchstrip ribbon controller and a 12v gooseneck light outlet, which do
not appear on the Proteus
> 2500.  The main distinguishing feature between all three is that they
>come
with their own sound
> chip, (with three extra slots for more sounds).

Also the P2500 won't sit on your lap or on a desk, has no keyboard, and
won't lie flat in a 'mixer rack' Personally I think it's a seriously
misguided peice of hardware. The XL/MPs make more sense though they are
more
garish :>

>      And there's a fantastic YahooGroup mailing list for these machines
(second only to LD), with
> two Emu guys on it to answer and clarify any bugs or questions.  Many of
the current upgrades came
> from this list.

Actually there's more than two emu guys on the list, though I haven't seen
all that many upgrades come from our suggestions yet :>

>      My main quibble with it is the choice of color, which a can of spray
paint should be able to
> address.

Yes, gold chrome with purple fur trimmings ::>

back in the saddle again,

bIz