Re: vocoder pitch-shifting

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 09:31 AM, David Kuckhermann wrote:

> Perhaps this is a stupid question (I know not much about vocoders), but
> how can you use a vocoder for pitchshifting?

Not a stupid question at all, vocoders don't change the pitch, they
impose formants from another source on target audio, like a fancy
automatic set of tone controls.

  BUT, if you run drums in to analyze as formants, then use a built-in
oscillator (or any sound source with controllable pitch) as the target
audio, you can "change the pitch" of the drums by changing the
oscillators frequency.

Not at all pitch shifting, but for things like drums, vocoding may sound
better…

Best-

mark