OT Re: Frampton vs. Fripp

At 03:35 AM 6/8/2002, you wrote:
><<I have a (ahem) theory about Bowie albums:
>   The quality of the album is directly related to
>   the featured guitarist on the album.
>   (ie - Frampton vs Fripp)>>
>
>You're not seriously blaming Never Let Me Down on
>Frampton, are you?! Besides, Frampton happens to
>be a kick ass guitarist. At least, he was back in
>the 70's. Frampton Comes Alive remains a firm
>favorite of mine! Just because he didn't do the
>whole prog rock thing doesn't mean he wasn't a
>good player!

Well - since you're taking my theory (which is mine) to task
with this - no, I'm not blaming Frampton for Never Let Me Down
but neither am I giving him much credit for elevating that album.
(As you said, his peak was back in the 70s and my
impression is that fame led him away from the path
and into blandness. Would you agree that Comes Alive
was his last really good album?) Now, Heroes would have
been a good album without Fripp, but his contributions
unquestionably took it higher and closer to greatness.

While we're on about Never Let Me Down - I was talking
to a couple of musicians at The Ambient Ping two weeks ago
and because I was spinning Low (side 2) between sets, the
conversation went to Bowie. One said that the first time he saw
Bowie live was the Glass Spider tour (for Never Let Me Down
and with Frampton) and he said he literally cried, he was so
disappointed with what Bowie was doing at that time. He has
since seen the Sound and Vision tour (with Adrian Belew) and
the Outside and Earthlings tours (with Reeves Gabrels) and
his faith has been restored. (I think Carlos Alomar was on
some of those tours too and he's certainly a solid, solid player.)

Cheers,
Scott M2

http://www.dreamSTATE.to
ambientelectronicsoundscapes