Re: Looper Moving!

At 3:13 PM -0700 6/3/02, Andre LaFosse wrote:

>Well, let me give you my own perspective on the "action," so to speak,
>from my vantage point in Los Angeles:
>
>Los Angeles is infamous for being fragmentary and disconnected, so
>it's no surprise that cultivating a sense of looping community here
>has been difficult...the scene here is very fragmentary, sporadic in
>its convergence, and only just starting to emerge as something with
>tangible structure and order to it, thanks to the efforts of a few
>people who have been working away at it for years.

I've lived in Los Angeles since 1986, and for the first fourteen
years of that I felt completely disconnected from any sort of scene.
That doesn't mean that there was none, just that it took a great deal
of effort to find whatever there might have been and I didn't bother.
Then two years ago, as part of some personal creative renewal, I
joined the newly formed LA chapter of American Composers Forum. I
started doing volunteer work for the Forum and made some new friends
who were also keen on building a creative community. It worked out
pretty well, and now we have a viable organization with regular
get-togethers, Composer Salons, professional development workshops,
etc. We even have a performance calendar (both on paper and on the
Web) so there's a central information source for performance
information. A group of us are in the midst of organizing some
technology programs.

Check us out at: <http://www.composers.la>

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202