Re: OT - Near Field Monitors

on 4/29/02 9:22 AM, Greg House at ghunicycle@yahoo.com or somebody wrote:

> A lot of people like the Genelecs, but the 1029s are the smallest ones
> they make and I've heard some comments saying they don't compete with
> the more famous ones (1031, etc). A friend of mine (who's ears I trust)
> says he thinks Genelecs are too flattering to the signals you run
> through them, preventing true critical listening. I haven't used 'em
> myself.

I use a pair of 1029As with the 10somethingorother subwoofer. Actually I
have a bunch of them and I use them for surround. They sound really good. I
know what people mean about them being flattering but I think with every
monitor you have to be aware of relativity, it's part of setting it up. So
fluffed around with the bass roll off a bit and stuck some weird foam shit
up on the walls ( my wife got right into that, wanted to do the whole
bedroom in white studio foam, but I'll say no more about that).

Nowadays every mix I do gets tested in 2 different car radios and a  bunch
of headphones, eventually I'll just learn how to do it with the Genelecs
without having to use other speakers. I think the only thing you really
need
to worry about with monitors is - are you hearing everything and is it more
or less flat? And some monitors are more tiring to listen to than others. I
can listen to the Genelecs all day.

I have used my 1029As as a small PA at an art gallery gig I did, everybody
was blown away by the amount of noise they can pump out, Lawrence Casserley
(Evan Parker Electric Acoustic Ensemble) uses a set up with a Powerbook
running MAX, a Creamware Pulsar in a Magma expansion chassis and 8 1029As.
bet he can fill a large hall with them.

Cheers