Re: OT - Near Field Monitors

--- Luigi Meloni <Luigimeloni74@libero.it> wrote:
> Hi all. As I was looking around for some cheap near-field monitors
> (just as a spare for mine, to use with my laptop when I'm away from
> home and to have another kind of reference when I'm mixing and
> mastering), I stumbled across a pair of used Genelec 1019a
> biamplified nearfields. Has anyone ever tried them and can give me
> some advice? The price seems acceptable and they seem to be in good
> shape. I tried them and the cones are working well. What do you think
> of them?
> I was looking for something like the Yamaha NS10-M, or the new MS-5A.
> (something flat in the response).

They'll be a lot better then the NS10s, but that's not really saying
much, since NS10s aren't very good monitors. Ubiquitous, yes. They
sound bad in studios all over the world.

I'm not familiar with the 1019A model, did you mean 1029? Or the 1091
sub (designed to be used with the 1029s).

A lot of people like the Genelecs, but the 1029s are the smallest ones
they make and I've heard some comments saying they don't compete with
the more famous ones (1031, etc). A friend of mine (who's ears I trust)
says he thinks Genelecs are too flattering to the signals you run
through them, preventing true critical listening. I haven't used 'em
myself.

IMO, NS10s are only useful for checking a mix to see if it's messed up
in the midrange, and to see what it'll sound like on a junky playback
system.

Greg