Re: musicality vs. gear quality (was Re: loop mud)

> You specifically wrote (about NYC's open loop):

yes i did specifically write about the open loop in
NY, but if you read closely or any of my follow-up
posts you would see that i was not ONLY speaking of my
experiences at the open loop, but at my experiences
seeing people playing with gear.  obviously, you took
personal offense towards my comments and by no means
did i mean to insult you.  and from the looks of other
posts, it seems that you are the only one who took
these things personally...and again, i apologize for
offending you...if you knew me, which you obviously
don't you would know that i am one of the most open
minded people when it comes to people's art and their
forms of expression.  i was just posing a question as
to what people on this list are concerned with - gear
or music...and i'm sure there are just as many on the
list concerned with gear as their are with
music...after all, most discussion on this list
involve gear as opposed to music.

again, you took this personally as a shot at you...if
you saw me at the open loop (which it would have been
hard to miss considerring i was the only person there
just watching), you would have clearly seen me getting
down in my seat when the groove was there...and you
would have also seen me holding my ears when utter
chaos was ensuing...and i'm pretty sure i saw you or
at least some of the other loopers make some wry
grimaces at some of the sounds that the collective
group was making...and body language speaks louder
than email...

...and what makes you think that i'm not musical?
because i made a comment saying that i've heard people
not make music with the gear.  have you ever gone to a
guitar shop and just listened to people playing...you
can call it music if you want, but i don't...some of
it is the best music i've ever heard and some of it
makes me want to leave the store...try not to jump to
conclusions about me, my playing, my thoughts, and
what i'm talking about (especially when you aren't
reading my posts - i'm attempting to be friendly and
even try to bury the hatchet with a down home jam
session, but apparently you like to allow your pride
to make you miss opportunities to create music...fine
with me).

> > if you are interested in hearing me play or
> listening
> > to the music that i write, or even jamming, i'm
> always
> > down,
>
> Not really interested at all at this point....

i'm not surprised...but my invitation is still open to
jam with you, maybe give you an opportunity to meet
the person who you seem to think has nothing good to
say about anything...but the ball is in your
court...i'm in the process of pulling together a jam
session with members of the list and i'd really like
for you to come, but if you prefer tension and bad
blood, then you enjoy it...i hold no grudges and i
still have nothing wrong with your musical abilities
(and why you think i am attacking you - maybe you are
doubting your own abilities?)

> > but don't think that i'm trying to come off as
> > some hot shot
>
> Fooled me!

how so?  by mentioning the fact that i've been
involved with playing bass for 10 years?  who cares?
i only mentioned it to be taken a bit more seriously
by some of the 'holier than though' folk on the list
who have actually accomplished things in their musical
career.  i am very serious about music and i joined
this list to delve deeper into it...i don't know if
you are serious or just a hobbyist but it gives you no
right to make judgements about me and my
playing...like i said, i'm sorry if my words offended
you, but there was no malice intended behind
them...learn to take some criticism if you are the
reason that i covered my ears at the open loop, if you
are not the reason, what is your problem?

> >...and if you
> > are threatened by someone who has been making
> music
> > for an extended period of time (I'm sure that to
> the
> > bulk of this list, 10 years is nothing) and think
> that
> > that makes me think that I am better than anyone
> else,
> > then that is your own issue.
>
> Threatened? You insulted the folks that play every
> week
> at open loop. My point was that 10 years IS nothing.

yeah, and what is your point with your point.  10
years is nothing...so?  i insulted people at the open
loop by saying that their were certain things that i
enjoyed and certain things that i didn't enjoy...i
would say that sounds more like an unbiased opinion.
and how come you are the only one insulted?  i spoke
with others at the open loop and even mentioned that
in my post...are you offended that i wasn't impressed
with what you did and didn't talk to you after the
open loop?  a: i was in a rush...b: i don't even know
who you are or what you were doing at the loop, so i'm
sure i couldn't have possibly been aiming any comments
your way...all that i remember is chatting with pedro
and grace a bit about their setups and what they use
loopers for, i remember a fretless guitar player who
had very solid leadership potential, but others
weren't vibing off of his lead to push things forward,
and then i remember a really unique setup i saw with
some delays and a tape recorder which although seemed
like it could use some polishing up...was one of the
most innovative things i'd seen in a while...and then
there were some others playing drums...some who smiled
and seemd excited to see a new face and others who
gave me an odd vibe and funny looks for being there.

> Music is more important to me, so I would be
> insulted
> when you say that the folks at open loop are not
> musical.

no offense, but i'm sure you'll take it...you are like
an ex-girlfriend who won't let you live down a
misworded comment.  relax...take a deep breath and
read this comment:

i have no problems with the musical abilities of the
open loop players and look forward to working with and
learning from them.  i do however question the
intentions of some of the open loopers as well as
other folks i've seen playing looping devices and
other fancy equipment...is it about the gear or the
music.  you say it is about the music...okay, thank
you for answering my question...discussion over.

> > Drop an email off list and we can find a mutually
> > convenient time to get together to jam or have a
> > musical duel or whatever.I'm in new york as I
> assume
> > you are as well.and I hold no hostility towards
> you,
> > but your post really sparked my interest to hear
> what
> > you can do with your gear and your instrument(s).
>
> Nah...you wouldn't want to do that....us folks
> at open loop are too unmusical to hang with the
> likes of you.

i'm sorry, who is cocky?  me?  rather be cocky and
friendly, then stubborn and attacking...

if you feel you are too unmusical to jam with others,
that's cool, but if you feel up to it, i'm down...egos
and cockiness aside.

> > ps. I hope its okay, but I tend to play fretted
> bass
> > over fretless by personal choice, but I do have a
> > homemade fretless with frets pulled out ala jaco
> style
> > (but it is a piece of crap and sounds like a toys
> r'
> > us bass)
>
> Whatever...

why did you make me a challenge?  you thought you were
the bigger man or something?  i'm down...i tend to try
not to talk what i can't back up...(in case you didn't
notice, now i'm being cocky)...

chill out and try and be a little friendly, the world
isn't such a bad place all the time.

still ready to jam...seriously...no jokes, no i'm
better than you...let's just jam.  why fight when you
can make music?

if nothing else, see ya saturday at the open loop...