OT Re: Compressor/Limiter recommendations

on 4/21/02 8:15 PM, max valentino at ekstasis1@hotmail.com wrote:

> If you are not familiar with compressors, I would suggest not spending a
> fortune; the RNC and ART stuff will probably do you well.  Also, as Mark
>S.
> so aptly pointed out...dynamic range IS your friend!  Use compression
> sparingly (certainly some limiting before the signal hits the DAT would
>be
> nice...), and the rule of thumb is: "if you can hear the compressor
>working,
> you are applying too much compression"

I definitely appreciate the value of dynamic range. I probably should have
expressed this more as a search for a good limiter so that I can run my
signal reasonably hot without worrying about digital clipping if I get a
bit
louder in spots.

The RNC gets lots of good reviews but seems mostly to be a compressor. Any
limiter specific recommendations? I take it that the ART Tube MP is a
reasonable option?

Thanks.
Mark