Re: Miking Congas

--- Butch <paulrichard10@attbi.com> wrote:

> But, I still like to use congas, et al every so often and popped for
> a Toca pair. I tried miking them with something from my equipment
> archives-an EV N/DYN. 257, I think.
>
> The results were okay but the drums seemed muffled. Not sharp like
> when using the Roland Handsonic. What would be a reasonable-priced
> microphone to use with the Tocas?

I've used mics from that line of EV mics and always thought they had
kind of a murkey sound.

As suggested, for really low budget, the SM57 can sound ok. Personally,
I prefer a small diaphragm condenser mic for hand percussion. On congas
& djembe, I'll sometimes augment a condenser mic on the skins with a
large diaphragm dynamic mic underneath. I have a pair of Neumann KM184s
that I like. They're about $650 each.

For less, I've heard really good things about the Oktava MC012. You can
get this mic from Guitar Center for about $150 with a single cardioid
capsule, but they're notoriously inconsistant so you might have to go
through several of them before finding one that sounds great. The
alternative is to buy them from The Sound Room (www.oktava.com). They
screen the mics and only sell the highest quality ones. Not really that
much more (currently $193 for single capsule, $299 with three capsules,
cardiod, hypercardioid, omni). You can also get matched pairs, and nice
wooden boxs for them from The Sound Room.

Greg