Re: Rather urgent EDP footpedal question

--- Andre LaFosse <altruist@altruistmusic.com> wrote:> The problem is:

> When tapping the insert button repeatedly and quickly, the EDP
> occasionally goes into multiply mode, and much less occasionally
> engages
> Overdub.  Also sporadically, Multiply will be completely
> un-responsive
> to the footpedal hits for several seconds at a time.
>
> This is defintiely an issue with my specific pedal; I've used a
> friend's
> pedal with exactly the same technique, and it doesn't happen at all.
> Neither does this happen when using the front panel buttons.
>
> I've replaced both the Insert and Overdub switches, which makes no
> difference.
>
> The bottom wire linking the connections for all seven switches has
> been
> replaced (with non-resistant cable), and it doesn't make a
> difference.
>
> The resistors have each been electronically tested, and a new
> resistor
> (accurate to within .05 of the standard value) installed on the
> Insert
> button, which makes no difference.
>
> At this point the only conceivable thing I could think of would be to
> replace each of the resistors on the EDP, which I'm prepared to do,
> but
> I'm wondering if anyone else has suggestions on things to look
> for/test.

Since multiply and overdub are higher resistance than insert (14.3K
ohms Overdub, 7.87K ohms Multiply, 4.75K ohms Insert) it sounds like
resistence in your path from switch contacts to the edp.  Since you
replaced the switches, and the switch buss wire, and that did not
resolve the issue, you should check the rest of the path.  Connectors
like the quarter inch jack and plug at the pedal end would be very
suspect.  I assume you tried another know good, low resistance cable
from edp to footpedal, yes?

You could take the footpedal with a known good. low resistance cable
plugged in, hold the insert button depressed while measuring the
resistance at the other end of the cable while you move the footpedal
and cable around to see if you see any change in resistance as would be
caused by intermittant connection.  If you can see this dropout and
make it repeatable, then you can trace to it's root as you measure.

I have had this probem before when I had dirty switches, but again it
seems you have ruled that out.
bret