Re: Need suggestions for sampling/storing loops

- memory utilization of a given amount of ram should be
physically equivalent on different platforms, given the same
same sample resolution (i.e. 16-bit, 44.1khz).  caveats for
systems that use portions of this storage space for meta data,
or any programatic method for compressing audio.

- there's actually 8mb of ram built into the repeater.  i'm
using a 256mb flash card from simpletech as additional storage
on the repeater with no tragic glitches resulting from the
media.  it may support as much ram as 512, if i'm not mistaken.
media access latency does appears to be a factor in the
repeater's 'drag', and i've been attempting to compensate for
the repeater's latency on a continuing basis.  i've recently
been getting more accurate loop start/stop times whilst
recording hand drums after plugging away for a while, and using
the click *shudder*, i wish the click could send a midi signal
or use it's own channel, but ob la di.  we adapt by nature i
guess.  i haven't eliminated unintentional blarfs entirely, but
i see the prospect of minimizing them.  btw, is anyone aware of
a midi string that will do a copy loop function?  but i degress
... um, short answer for the boss vs. repeater is close enough.
give or take a few bytes for meta data.

hmmm, i know a tinker/carpenter guy who's first thought would
probably be to rig a way to operate a cd player using foot
switches, fine carved wood, and infra-red signals (aha! now i'll
have to call him and tell him about this just to get him
actually considering it).  hmmm, maybe take a tip from the dj's
and use two cd players and a crossfade pedal to avoid track seek
latency and have layering. ;-)  now I'M considering it ...
nawwwww.   wait .....  nawwwww.  oooo, there's those cd dj
thingines.  you could be shwinging little plastic disks with
your fingtips, cross fading with one foot and filtering with the
other.  nawwww...  looping live material is jsut really fun and
wacky.  but infra-red switching now, hmmm.  less wires, still
only light speed, watch out for mirrored pants, mic stands,
disco balls on the floor, and delinquents with infra-red pens
and just enough wit to be challenging.  hmmmm ...

do de do,

mike