RE: Chords (was Adrenalinn)

>They can both have direction, particularly in tonal
music.

ah, true true.

if you look at gesualdo's music (sacred music for five
voices), you won't find very much functional harmony,
which is pretty odd considering the nature of the
music (initially, it sounds like it would be
functional) and the time period.  easily one of my
favorite compositions.

i think the same (re: polyphony "lines" etc.) to
african music, particularly tribal stuff.  the
emphasis is indeed on the lines and their relevance to
one another.  african music really blows me away.

...not to mention the rhythmic complexity, which is
one big can of worms.  i'm up for talking about
african polyrhytm if you are...

-jim