New to list, with a couple of tired old questions

Hi Loopers,

Time for a new guy to ask a couple of no doubt tired old questions.

I'd like to add a looper to my usual guitar/VG-8 combo, and I'd like a bit
of guidance about what to buy. Would anyone care to offer opinions about
what's what in April '02 and what's important to look for?

My main use is for a home studio, with occasional venturing out to a small
bar or coffeeshop. I'd prefer a rack device unless a foot pedal---say, the
Line 6---is an extraordinary value. Because of the Loopers Delight tools
page, I'm looking at the Jamman (they seem to go for about $350; are they
still favored, though somewhat out of date?) and the digital Echoplex ($600
or more). Other ideas?

Thanks for any advice!
Jon