univox echo chamber tapes or footswitch.

I have recently purchased a univox echo chamber ec80 from ebay. It powers
up and the motor runs fine, it has a tape with it, the only thing is, it
won't echo. I don't know if I need a tape for it or if I need a footswitch
to turn the echo on! Doe anybody know how these things work, and maybe
where I could find another tape?  I would like to just build a footswitch
for it, I know simple electronics , but how exactly is a footswitch made?

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp