OT: Vortex repair update

Benos noches-

Monk wanted to know if I was able to replace one of the encoders on my Vortex and I was. Yay! I thought maybe some others here might find the info useful.

The hard part is removing the faulty encoder- I resorted to carefully clipping a few of the posts then heating/pulling them out.

Once removed the sockets must be clear of solder- heat it up and a quick blast o breath will clear-

Seat the new encoder- and from the bottom, heat the posts (not the board) and allow solder to wick down all the way to the opposite side.

I guess my technique has improved- my first attempt a year or so ago got me a $100 bill from Lexicon repair. J