RE: Gig spam--in two hours in San Diego

>** well this brings up an interesting issue, or series of issues.
>how much looping does one need to have on a "looping gig"?
>
>is it 100%, 80%, 70%, 50%?
>
>if one is doing improv and the spirit of the evening drives one away
>from doing 70% or more looping, does it make it a non-looping gig? a
>follow-up would be what's more important, the amount of looping or
>following the music? (in other words, does the technique drive the
>gig or the music?)
>
>i've had a few people ask me if i was going to go to one of the
>looping fests and play. my response i both cases was taht i wasn't
>sure that i would be doing enough looping to "qualify" . . .
>depending on what moved me that night, i might not pass the litmus
>test of having enough looping content, or that the way id o it would
>be considered appropriate.

I've had similar feelings about the term "looping music" myself. I
use loopers extensively, I currently have a boomerang, a jamman, a
dl-4, and a repeater on the way. But I don't do music that depends on
looping, necessarily. The loopers are just some of many, some'd
probably say too many :-), tools that I use for music. Because I use
a butter knife as a bow on my bass, do I play utensil music? What if
I use alligator clips? Does that mean I play stoner music?:-)

If a looper loops loops with a looper, how many loops does looper
have to loop to be a looper?
Dave Trenkel                                New and Improv Music
http://www.newandimprov.com         improv@peak.org