BASS LOOPERS to know about -> Fred Marshall

At 06:18 AM 3/6/2002, Rick Walker/Loop.pooL wrote:
>...... is
>also the only looper I know, so far who is using an Upright Acoustic Bass
>loop).
>Did I leave anybody out?

Rick, it was before your time on the Looper's Delight scene, but one of
our more colorful and amazing personalities of the past was Fred Marshall.
You've all heard Fred's playing, as he was playing upright bass with Vince
Guaraldi at the time all of the music for the Peanuts tv shows was
recorded. And yes, if you have the bass line from "Linus and Lucy" in your
head right now, that was Fred. Fred was a LD list member around '97-98.

It hasn't been mentioned here yet, but Fred passed away a few months ago.
Or as he would have said, he left his temporary meat suit behind and moved
on...

Fred was heavy in the SF jazz scene of the late 50's and 60's, playing
with everybody from Etta Jones to Howard Roberts to Dexter Gordon to Wes
Montgomery to Mose Allison, Joe Henderson, Pharoah Sanders and probably
hundreds more. He was always fascinated with pushing boundaries of music,
and with new inventions related to music and instruments, and was a
constant tinkerer himself. Fred was also simply a wonderful person, filled
with wisdom and a great energy for life.

I first met him at Zeta Music where he was helping to design their upright
electric bass. Fred had worked with tape loops in the past and was
immediately fascinated with the loopy gear we were working on with
Matthias at G-WIZ. He promptly borrowed a Paradis LoopDelay, and later he
borrowed an EDP prototype. (I never asked for them back, they seemed to be
in better hands with Fred.)  Throughout the nineties he could be heard
looping upright bass in the SF bay area with the incendiary jazz combo
Marshall Arts. It was great to see loops put into a jazz context like
that, and so confidently and well that it seemed natural for jazz to have
loops.

Fred made some great posts while he was with us, some of my favorites
ever. I enjoy re-reading them sometimes, maybe you will too:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/LDarchive?query=fredmarshall&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=restricttofiles&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=case&.cgifields=filelist

mmmmm

kim