Re: What are we listening to today?

    It was a normal Saturday morning. My son was watching Dragon Tales and
Blue's Clues as my wife and I got ourselves together. I left the house
around 8:20 am and didn't listen to any music for the entire ride - a rare
event. I arrived at my guitar instruction studio at about 8:45 am, and
immediately began recording.
    Modified Hohner Steinberger > Whammy > Boss GT-3 (many ring modded FX
patches) parallel out > Akai Headrush in looping mode, and > Sellon-modded
Lexicon PCM 42. Recorded direct to cassette.
    This is to be a gift for a friend's birthday.
    Then I had to do some writing (performance notes for transcriptions in
GuitarOne magazine) so I listened to "More Than A Feeling" by Boston and
"Lay Lady Lay" by Bobby the Z. These performance notes will be found in the
May 2002 issue. My fellow instructor was working on music with students,
but
I heard almost nothing. This may be a psychological block. On the other
hand, he was working on some music of his own between students which really
struck me. It was E lydian major, lovely broken arpeggios, alternating with
B natural minor.
    After everyone left, I listened to the gift tape a bit. Side One is
vaguely Fripp Soundscape > Reich > Reich as played by gamelon > The
Hundredth Monkey invites the other 99 to a field of aluminum locusts for
lunch > bowing on Martha Stewart's brake drums. Side Two is (Geez! I
forget!) followed by a Hendrixy rhythm loop with all manner of improvised
soloing followed by the stuff I recorded earlier, a vaguely tribal loop
with
more soloing (some E-bow harmonized by Whammy in add-a-fourth/fifth mode,
among other things). You know, the usual stuff.
    On the ride home, I popped in a tape of Dionne Warwick's greatest hits
along with Tracy Nelson/Mother Earth's "Poor Man's Paradise." Sang along a
lot at the top of my lungs.
    At home, my wife prepared for a visit to the hairdresser's while more
children's shows played on the TV. I listened to the events of the day, and
was particularly elated to learn that a plumbing problem which could have
cost $4,000-plus (according to Company A) was solved for $125 (by honest
local plumber B).
     Now it's 8:30 at night, and after listening to my son get out of bed
about three times, I am sitting in my bedroom listening to the click of my
computer keys, the fan of the mainframe, and that curious high-pitched zing
of the screen. I am listening for the sound of my wife coming home.
Douglas Baldwin, Alpha male Coyote, the Trickster
dbaldwin@suffolk.lib.ny.us