Re: Looping live, professionalism , etc.

Hi Gang!
I have been away for a few days, but have been greatly enjoying this
continuing thread on all things looping!  Some really wonderful ideas
kicking around.  This is what I love about this list...the free
interchange
of ideas, concepts, techniques, et al.
So let me pick up where I left off....something about "smoke and mirrors".

One thing, and a very important thing, I learned from Rick "Loopool"
Walker
was not to underestimate your audience.  Believe it or not, most audiences
DO want to be challenged, whether they are cognizent of this or not.  For
us
loopers, this is very important.  Sure, as Steve Lawson pointed out, they
may not really be aware of or understand the concept or technololgy of
looping, and perhaps you may have to lead them around by the ear for a
bit,
but almost always, the audience becomes rapt with the entire process.
This
has been my experience in live situations, where, as Steve said, they
might
believe there are "canned" parts...or sequences etc.  To counter that, I
try
to throw a few glitches into my performance....to keep it from being in
any
way perfect (which for me is never really a serious threat :-0)
hmmm..I was just listening to some live tracks from the solo bass looping
tour this summer, and maybe I took that concept to an extreme!
By "walking the audience" thru the whole looping process, you somehow
involve them in what is happening, and at that point...you have 'em!
I tend to look at looping, and the tools thereof, as instruments
themselves
(albeit instruments which require an external sound device).  I try not to
recreate other works, or make myself sound exactly the same gig after gig,
night after night. I suppose that now with the Repeater and it's memory
functions, mainaining loops and sequences can be part of the looping
show...and this is fine, but I rather enjoy stretching the limitations of
both the player and the gear. Looping greatly benefits the improvisatory
nature of music, and as such, the "looping" part of your performance is as
just evolving, and involving, as your instrumental "chops".  I try to work
this into each of my looping gigs.
I also am quite fond of adapting compostional approaches to the looping
environment.  Rather than trying to, say, make an ABBA type structure with
multiple loops, I try to adapt or make a variation of my compositon to
include it in a looping system.  Often times this means shifting the
harmony
over a static rhythm loop, or shifteing the melody over a static harmony..
or tapping out and starting over incorporating both ideas!
Of, course, using loops in a live setting is gonna be hazardous.  The
foot-pedal ballet thing is sometimes mind-numbing in its own right, but
add
to that the horror of "the bad loop"!  What I try (really I do TRY) to do
is
incorporate all these snafus, glitches, clams, and train-wrecks into the
performance, just as you use what talents and chops you have to cover
those
same kind of faux pas "sans loops".  Incidentally, when Steve spoke of
leaving (and encouraging) the audience to do what ever suits their fancy,
it
reminded me of a solo gig I did a few weeks ago where there were folks
listening intentively, others in various conversations, and others eating
(complete with clanging glasses and silverware), all coupled with the (now
mandatory) cappucino machine blaring off every few moments (not to mention
the cafe was near the train tracks!!).  So I improvised a piece which used
all of these elements in it.  There were but a privilaged few in
attendence
who "got it", but I made sure to thank everyone who contributed their
"part"
to the piece.  Was the piece filled with blatant mistakes? Sure..timing
errors (mostly on the part of the audience or espresso machine :-o)),bad
notes, etc., but using a DL4 allowed me to flip those around, or change
speeds.....
well you get the picture.
by the way, I too am a professional musician....I actually make my living
doing this!  In that way I am very blessed, as I get to make a living from
what I love to do most.
whew!  a little more than just $.02..but what the heck!
Max