payment...

** last week there was an interesting piece on npr about the pejorative
that
is now placed on the word "amateur" and the american preoccupation with
being "professional" and the fact that making money doing one's "art"
somehow confers some sort of validation on artistic endeavour.

also, i've know plenty of musicans who are professional (doing movie
soundtracks, jingles, album work, etc., many days of the week) and play
coffeehouses in order to play "their" music - - music they truly care
about.<<<

...reminds me of seeing Abe Laboriel playing at the Baked Potato, playing
his ass off with a stunning piano trio to a total of 6 people there for the
second set, with three of us being on the guest list - Abe's bar tab was
bigger than the taking on the door, and I don't think he drinks... :o)

He played that set the same way I've seen him play in front of thousands -
with every cell in his body. I took away a lot more from that gig that just
the great music and a fine CD - not to mention the profuse thanks that he
offered to everyone for being there, individually (admittedly, not that
tricky when there are only 6 people there... :o)

...6 people watching Abe Laboriel?????? what on earth is going on with the
world??????

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk