Reports from the lab (part 1)

Merry Christmas.  Here's what I got you...

Bill Frisell meets Ornette Coleman in a Cuisinart:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/bookworm.mp3

Aphex Twin's secret pygmy rainforest project (and a perennial Kim Flint
lick at the very beginning):
http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/flux.mp3

Ambient looping takes on Glitch-core (and a good fight it is):
http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/gestalt.mp3

A mournful and melodic thing indeed, yes it is:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/hushed.mp3

Pop song from mars with hooks to match:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/instant.np3

Shouldn't have left that New Age CD out in the sun:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/smalldrama.mp3

A meditative twitch:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/spastic.mp3

THIS IS:

-- entirely live, one-take, unedited, no overdubs, blah blah blah...

-- improvised, occasionally with loose parameters (or tight lack of
parameters)

-- EDP plus guitar, with only a smidge of reverb on the stereo mix as
far as effects are concerned

-- an attempt at a post-IDM, post-turntablism approach to looping

-- trying to work with looping in a constantly evolving, dynamic,
non-repetitive (!) format which extends from and reacts to my playing,
rather than statically sitting there and, um, looping over and over again

-- the sound of me kicking and screaming against my own reliance on the
ambient looping genre (and, on some of these, the sound of that paradigm
being literally torn apart)

I have no idea what this sounds like anymore, but I hope you enjoy it
(as long as you don't mind strange looks from your neighbors).

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com