Re: intelligent pitch shift

I wrote yesterday about the roland vg-8 pitch shift where you can
assign any arbitrary harmony note to any input note (12 tones).

I tried this feature last night (user set harmony).  Yes, you can set
it up with any arbitrary relationship of input to harmony note, It may
be intelligent, but it isn't very accurate.  It didn't work very well
for me.
:(

I notice that if the harmony interval set for adjacent chromatic notes
is not the same, or very close to being the same interval, then the
accuracy of pitch shift on each unique semitone can be poor.  The
harmony note seems to be 'pulled' sharp or flat depending on the
harmony intervals set to the adjacent semi tones.  You can get some
wild and unusual sounds, however.

I rigged up an old damaged gk-2a pickup assembly so that I could run a
moog synth directly into my vg-8.  Running a random pitch sine wave
into the vg-8 was pretty cool, you can really hear what each of the
vg-8 models is doing in terms of distorting and processing the input
sound.  Playing random notes, while manualy randomizing the harmony
produced as it plays was also pretty fun.

I then ran a microphone into the vg-8.  My voice sounded like violins,
wow!  More experiments to follow.
bret