Re:EDP Undo Question

Title: Re:EDP Undo Question
I'm a little confused by the undo operation on the EDP, and was wondering if anyone could clear it up for me (like through one of your wonderful little essays, Kim?).
I've read the manual, and understand that a long press is supposed to undo the entire previous layer (given memory limitations), and a short press is supposed to undo the tail end starting from where you press "undo".  But my EDP seems erratic in this function -- often I have to press undo twice or more to undo the previous layer, and often it doesn't allow a long press -- the little undo light blinks on and off really quickly.  Also, it seems to me that sometimes I have to press undo while the previously recorded material I want to undo is actually playing.  If I press it elsewhere in the loop, nothing happens.
Comments, anyone?  thanks in advance.