Re: OT: Renaissance Guitars

I have played trapset/multiple percussion on tour with Martin Simpson and
Bob Brozman.

Bob Brozman has always been known as a meticulous phenom on the national
resonator steel guitar.   For many years,  as a dedicated antiquarian, we
were forced to rent gigantic figerglass cases to hall stand up basses
around
Europe.

Before the last performance we did at Festival D'Ete in Quebec City,
Quebec,
the incredible bassist, Doug Robinson flew to California for rehearsals and
brought his brand new Rick Turner Renaissance Acoustic Fretless Bass.

I can't stress how adamant Brozman has been about having things just
perfect.
He once had me play a leather covered african jun jun with a mallet and
recorded it from two rooms away in the studio with a cheap mic just so he
could get
the 'authentic' sound from old twenties vinyl 78s(remember vinyl kiddies?).

Anyway, long story, longer:  he flipped out over the sound of the
Renaissance Bass.  It is the closest thing that I've heard to an upright
acoustic bass yet it also has it's own beautiful sound.  We haven't toured
with another instrument since then.

I can't highly recommend it enough!!!!  I'd give my left nut to own one
(I'm
not a bassist but I play one on Bass Looping Tours ;-)

yours,  Rick Walker  (loop.pool)