Re: pedalboard wiring and noise -- snip sheild on one end.

When I first started asking people how to wire all this crap together,
there
was a general consensis that connecting the positve and
negative-with-sheild
on one end but snipping the sheild on the other such that it's only + and -
reduced overall noise in the system---provided you wired everything in the
same direction. It doesn't matter which is snipped, the sending or
receiving
end, as long as they're all uniform.

I chose to wire EVERYTHING in my system (that was unblalenced) with the
sheild and negative connected on the send end because the theory behind
this
seemed to be that excess noise and power would go out through the sheild
and
dead end, then get sucked back into the chassy of the unit since it had no
where to go. I didn't want it all to go into the mixer (as it would if
sheilds were connected on the receiving end). Just seemed more isolated
this
way.

I don't know if it amounted to a hill of beans, but my system is pretty
quitet and it's all stomp boxes. I didn't really ever hear it all together
wired normally as a reference point though.

I doubt it'll make a recognizable difference, but it's something you could
try for that one noisy unit of yours.

It the risk of sounding really confusing, I'm including a little more info
below for you to reference if need be, but in the end, you should contact
someone who A) really knows what they're talking about and B) knows your
particular device if you get into this and have questions.

It is important to note that were talking about using balanced three
conductor cable for unbalanced two connection (positive, sheild)devices and
that the negative of the wire on the snipped end goes into the SHEILD on
the
unit. Generally, it wont matter. If you are wireing directly to something
with only to spots and one of them is positive, then the other's what you
want weather or not they call it sheild or negative. If there are three,
however come out the sheild but put a jumper over to the negative on the
send end.

Normally in unbalanced systems, there's positve and sheild, which I'm told
is the same as the "negative" in this case and provides a "reference" for
the positive. I have no idea in what way the negative is a "reference", so
if anyone knows how to explain what's physically going on there [besides
just completing the cerquit], I'm all ears. Or eyes, as the case may be.

In balanced systems, the + is the sound, the - it's reference, and the
sheild is the power. Keeping them seporate is best, obviously.

Please, someone correct me if I've gotten any of the theory wrong. All I
can
tell you for sure is that I did this and my system's quiet.

Goodluck!

     Chris Darrow.

     (Ken Cumali does not exist.)

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 17:32:31 -0800, Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
wrote:

>  >Furman has a new pedal board with integrated power conditioner, pedal
power
>  >leads, and power strip= retail is like $300
>
>  One drawback to the Furman pedalboard is that each pedal can draw no
>more
>  than 100mA.  The Digitech stuff pulls around 800mA, so you'll need to
>use
>  another power supply for those.
>
>  TH
>
>  --
>  Electrochakra website: http://www.electrochakra.com

Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite
Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com