Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V01 #705

eeee-kids-

> Having just lugged my heavy rack on an off of ferries and taxies for the
> last few weeks, I am more interested than ever in finding a software
> solution.

>I checked out Reaktor a little bit as a possible way to avoid having to
>buy
>a Repeater, and in my short experience with it, I found that it was
seemingly impossible to build a looper much beyond a long delay style of
>thing - I couldn't find a way to handle tap tempo, which to me was a
>show-stopper - that's not to say it couldn't be done, but I didn't see how
>it could be done. Of course Reaktor appears to be very cool for many other

ive kept an eagle eye to the software front for a year now. i think a
software solution will be emerging very soon. the arguments that the
hardware peeps have been making about tactile user interface, latency, and
stability, are being rapidly addressed by the software peeps.

user interface, you have these devices like iCube where you can build your
own user interface, or the peavey fader box, or other flavors of switch
and pedal comboboards. or if you are more technically savvy, get a basic
stamp II and wire up your own switches and pots. it all runs into the
computer. and you get to tweak the UI so that any switch or pedal can
adjust anything, and so that you dont have any more knobs and dials than
you really need.

latency, you have MAC OSX claiming 1 ms latency. You have new commercial
audio software being developed for it. Someone mentioned ableton's Live
sequencing package (www.ableton.com). I played with it. While its not
quite fluid and stable enough yet to replace your EDP, id keep an eye on
it.. and, for the savvy, you can write an EDP replacement in MAX/MSP. with
the right hardware (the pick seems to be MOTU2408 or MOTU828) you can get
your latencies down around 5-10ms (check the community pages at
www.cycling74.com). when MSP becomes OS X ready, the latencies will drop.

latency part 2, You also have a rapidly growing freesoftware Linux audio
movement (www.linuxdj.com), reporting stable latencies peaking at 1-2 ms
with intense disk and system activity. one audio card of choice seems to
be the RME hammerfall (multichannel digital i/o). as for laptop audio, I
contacted magma and they are working on Linux drivers for their Cardbus
which allows you to plug PCI cards like the Hammerfall into your laptop.
the linux people are puritans, serious about a stable architecture. check
www.sourceforge.net for a list of free audio software being developed for
linux. it wont be long before someone writes a multichannel looper under
linux, and it might be really sexy. and while i really believe in free
software and permaculture and all that, the linux audio thing is still a
beta baby. so im waiting on it.

bottom line, the software front is coming. i'd give it another year.

for now, i would hold onto my cash, not be enticed by the toys, and play
with myself instead. channel that energy into breath and learning, where
you know it'll be wise. that's what im doing.

love
-yon

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!