re: worldbridger

Jan,

It's a damned shame you're not moving to Dallas.  I could
really use someone like you in the band I'm trying to put
together (Ambient/Dance/Industrial/Pop/Rock/Tribal/World
music).  Which Asheville are you leaving - the one in North
Carolina?  Friend of mine, named Geoff Elmore used to dwell
there, before he dropped off the face of the earth.

That was a beautiful piece of writing there, man!  Do write
lyrics for your music?

I've been trying to find music, to learn from, from those same
parts of the world.  I would suggest the catalogs from
realworld.com, & oneworld.com.  Additionally, there is a great
World Music channel on spinner.com, that can expose you to a
lot of wonderful stuff.

As for polyrhythmic, try Hossam Ramzy from Egypt - Amazing
percussionist!

As for Tribal instruments from various parts of the world, I
highly recommend Novica.com.  They feature hand-made
instruments from real indigenous artists in various far-flung
parts of the world.  You can buy a beautiful Djembe from West
Africa for a mere $125, and you would know the name and history
of the artist, and how he makes the instruments.  Certainly a
much better route than buying those mass-produced remo rip-offs
from Guitar Center at twice the price.

Good luck on your physical, musical, & spiritual journeys.
PLEASE let us know whenever you have some tunes for us to
listen to.  I'd love to hear it.

Blessed be,
:-)Michael

From: "Jan Pek" <swirlee@angelfire.com>

so, i have a request for yall.

im looking for South American tribal music, spirit of the
rainforest,
grandfather drum, voice of the cloud, to South America what
Farafina is
to Africa... something polyrhythmic, polymetric, whatever you
want to
call it, building repetition. someone, give me the words!

i'm moving Asheville -> NYC feeling as though i may get spit
out on
another world journey, and am magnetizing africa (guinea?
senegal? dogon
and the nommo?) and s. america (ecuador? brazil? bolivia?) for
world
bridging. i know i'm here to embody spirit, to bring magic to
the flesh.
the way of technology magic-- i've spent most of my life there,
on the
outside, in the crystal megahertz.

so i am learning another way, the long road back to embodiment,
the 'red
pill', if you will. because the guides tell me the next leg of
training
as shaman is in the primitive, embodying spirit in dance,
breath, voice,
drum, trance. the animals.

so where can i exist on that edge? can i place myself where i
can honor
and learn from the tribes without eroding their culture? how to
exit the
tourist conveyorbelt and become of service to these indigenous
people,
so that we can recognize, we are all indigenous. is there not a
mystery
school somewhere, teetering on that precipice where the voice
is the
synthesizer, the body is levity, the breath is operating system
upgrade,
time is echoplex, where Western magic is tenderly and
appropriately
introduced, built with spirit of the local land, not bulldozed
like
formula over tender rainforest shoots? shit, there must be.
where is it?
right under your nose?

fuzzy and blue,
yon