Re: OT: sequencer inventor

At 3:12 PM -0800 11/19/01, Bret wrote:

>I don't doubt that Moog said that.  However, I was under the impression
>that Raymond Scott was the 'inventor' of the the musical sequencer.

I think this is a matter that needs to be put to Bob Moog himself,
because he credits both Scott and Buchla with inspiring his sequencer
design.

It may be that both are true in some fashion. The specific design of
Buchla's control voltage sequencer modules is probably closer to
Moog's later design than was Scott's early design.

In any case it is certainly true that Scott beat Buchla to the punch
by a few years. Unfortunately, he kept it a closely guarded secret.
Buchla's sequencer was certainly the first one that received general
exposure.

BTW - I highly recommend Raymond Scott's wonderful book and CD set:
144 pages filled with articles, interviews, photos, drawings,
schematics, and two CDs of Scott's music.

http://www.RaymondScott.com

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com