Re: Max in hardware?

At 6:38 PM -0800 11/8/01, Kevin Goldsmith wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone is planning on something similar [to a
>Nord Micro Modular] for MIDI only.  It'd be great if I could
>download MAX-like MIDI patches into a small box so that I could
>remap controllers and what-not in performances.

That's what I was hoping the Opcode Studio 5 was going to be, and I
was very disappointed when I got my beta unit and it couldn't do
that. Nevertheless I've found that the patching and remapping
functions of the Studio 5 can be useful, and it allows remapping on
the fly simply by switching between programs.

Unfortunately the Studio 5 doesn't have multiple inputs for switches
and pedals, so you'd need some other interface to provide conversion
from these physical controllers into a mappable MIDI stream. Also
unfortunate is the fact that the Studio 5 is two rack units tall. The
Studio 4 could work, and it is only one rack unit, but as I recall it
can hold only one patch in its internal memory at a time (someone
please correct me if I'm wrong).

Possibly the most compact system would be a Powerbook running Max, a
small MIDI interface, and some basically dumb MIDI floor controller
that has a sufficient number of switches and/or pedals. All the
mapping could be done in Max. An older Powerbook would be sufficient.
I've bought several for under $100 each on eBay.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com