Max in hardware?

I know we've discussed this on the list in the past, but I think that was a
while ago.  I have a Nord Micro Modular which I love, and I was wondering
if
anyone is planning on something similar for MIDI only.  It'd be great if I
could download MAX-like MIDI patches into a small box so that I could remap
controllers and what-not in performances.  It would be sort of the ultimate
MIDI problem solver as I see it.  I know that the KYMA can do stuff like
this, but that's way overkill (and way too large).  It'd also be cool for
adapting the various MIDI pedal controllers to work with all the different
loopers that we all use.

Anybody know anything that does this?

    Kevin
--