OT: Akai S3000 or...

Hi all- I'm looking at 2 diff of these - S3000XL and a CD3000- anyone know if these are any good compared to latest models? I also can't tell if the cd model is any diff than the zip model in features other than the removeable media drives-

Could these be used like a sound module to drive diff midi sound sources? Is there any sequencing on board?

Sorry for the OT- but I will be looping like crazy with whatever I get! :)

Cliff