Re: Tablas and looping revisited

I use a "tabla table."  Wish I had some pictures I could post...

It's an Anvil-style case for my tablas that I made.  The base is a flat
slab
of 3/4" plywood.  The top is like a box that's missing it's bottom; it has
four-sides and a top.  The top is made from thin plywood (1/4" or 1/8").  I
used typical flush-mount catches to hold the top and bottom together.
Something like these:
http://www.reliablehardware.com/latches/images/a-3035.gif

I mounted the catches upside-down from the picture so that the moveable
parts are on the top.  The top of the base is flat.  The bottom of the base
has a lip around the edge and a pipe flange mounted at the center.  I use a
matching pipe nipple on a piece of aluminum tubing.  The tubing fits into a
wide tripod base cymbal stand with the pipe nipple at the top.  (I've found
the Tama Titan stands work great for this.)  The "tabla table" threads onto
the top of the stand.

The tabla are transported and played while resting on the "tabla table"
base.

The inside of the top contains foam rubber.  When you fasten the top onto
the base, the catches draw the foam against the top of the tabla, hence
holding them in place while being transported.

I'll see if I can post some pictures...

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com