Re: Looper development and production costs?

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned here is promotion.  I've
NEVER seen and add featuring the EDP.  Ever.  Didn't even know about it
until I bought a JamMan and subscribed to this list.  Never makes the
cover of any catalogs I get.  Never heard of a product demo in any
store.  The loopers' list is good, but is it visible to the entire music
buying public?  Seems more or less invisible to the public, in my
opinion.  No wonder it's not a staple of everyone's rack.

Now Electrix is not doing much better, in my opinion.  They really need
to buy some ad space.  Send reps out to the stores to do demos.  The
usual.  I know that's money, but it takes it to make it.  Nice Repeater
product placement with Torn as he's starting the new Bowie project.
That should help get the word out.  Gibson needs to give a couple of
EDPs to Fripp or Belew.  Someone big.  Even someone more visible like
Radiohead would be great.  I know some people that went and bought KAOSS
pads after seeing Radiohead perform with them.

Also (I'm going to get it for this)  The EDP is ugly.  Repeater is ugly
too, but in a good way, IMO.  It says, "Space 1999."  It says, "I've got
a bunch of very state of the art high tech stuff going on in here."
I've always felt the EDP looked a bit home made, kludgy.  Looks won't
make a product, but they sure help.  When Korg started the Trinity line,
the store I worked in got a LOT of attention.  They looked like
something Captain Picard would play.  If Gibson cares about selling
EDPs, they'd get an industrial designer to redesign the face plate.
Graphic designer to redo the logo.  Do any of these things make the EDP
a better product?  No, but extra sales would sure influence someone into
throwing cash at an EDP 2 project.

Mark Sottilaro