Re: Looper development and production costs?

that's a good start Doug. you are starting to get the idea, but I think
your numbers are still on the optimistic side.

I suggest the following adjustments to your assumptions:
- in low volume electronics production, everything costs much more. Parts,
fabrication, packaging, whatever. Anything you think you know about costs
from looking at prices of consumer electronics products or PCs is way off
from reality for electronic musical instruments. Your $150 COGS will be a
bit too low for what I would expect a next-gen looper to cost to
manufacture, based on what sort of processing, display, audio components,
controls, memory, i/o, etc it would have to have. I would guess it between
$200-$300 if we don't get too fancy.

- In the niches of the musical instrument industry, I would consider
selling 1000 units in a year to be quite a big success for mid-range rack
mount stuff. Most things probably won't sell that well. Sustaining that
for
several years is not likely. Your 2000 unit/year number would be a smash
hit, probably beyond the realistic size of the looper market at this time.
Maybe it will grow that big, but it is not there now.

- sales on esoteric new products can be weird. Musicians are very
conservative in general, and don't really go for new things. So if you
introduce a new kind of product you might see good sales at first as all
the really experimental types get it to try, then a big fall off while
others wait to see what they think. if it is good sales will grow slowly
as
the advance users figure it out and start incorporating it in music that
others begin to hear. That vast majority won't even think about it at all
until they see their favorite musician icon using it in a hit song they
like. That can take years. So after all your R&D expense, you have to be
ready to ride this out.

- $2M R&D is probably a comfortable number for a normal industry, although
in the MI industry people usually cut a lot of corners to do things for
less because they can't afford it. (with the associated risks of taking
shortcuts coming into play later, usually). You might be able to do this
for $1M, although most of that would go into salaries for engineers and
other key people. Add in marketing related R&D, prototyping, lab
equipment,
travel, computers, development tools and such things and maybe we call it
$1.5M. So depending on how complete of a job we do, it may range between
$1-2M. Basically, you have to realize that a looper is a complicated
electronic system. Much more so than your average effects processor. It
takes a lot of difficult engineering, and it's the same cost to develop
whether you are going to sell 500 or 500,000. In small volume products, a
lot more of those development costs show up in the price you pay.

So play with those numbers. What kind of prices are realistic for a small
company trying to make a "modern" looper and remain in business? (by any
standard measure of corporate size, even Gibson is a small company. In
fact, the entire musical instrument industry combined is smaller than many
mid-sized corporations.) How frequently will such a company be able to
afford to design a new version of it? Every year? two years? 5 years?
longer? How long does their product have to be able to last in the market?
Is it possible that line6 is right, in saying it isn't worth it to pay the
cost of a programmer to add more looper functions to their delay? How big
of a risk do you think Electrix is taking by betting it all on the
Repeater, and what is their business prognosis given their pricing?

This is not an easy business. Look at Alesis. A few years ago, they had
one
of the hugest hit products ever with the ADAT. Now they are bankrupt!
There
are a lot of those stories.

kim