Re: two minds

>>It has become clear, following this list over years, that loopers seem
>to be
>>of two minds.  The Acid guys and the EDP guys are really two completely
>>separate camps.

I really don't see it this way. Of course, I use neither a Acid nor
an EDP, but I do see what you mean. At home, I build loop-based stuff
using Logic Audio. I almost always take my Boomerang to the gigs I
play bass on. I do live sets with a DJ using a setup based around
drum machines and MIDI-sync'd efx. If the list splits, I'd probably
subscribe to both. I'd rather see it stay as one list myself, I think
that there's more possibility of creative sparks flying from having a
diverse group of contributors.

>  >Those of us on "Kim's side" can't understand the desire to
>>save a loop; a never-changing loop just isn't the living thing that an
>>evolving loop is.  I equate the static loop with MIDI music, which is a
>>spitting out of notes and sounds on command.  Not to discredit that
>>approach, but I feel that it's a very different animal.

I do live stuff with MIDI that often starts with very little
pre-programmed, maybe just a single line and a drum pattern. From
there, I generate streams of stuff using arpeggiators,
step-sequencers under live control, looping non-midi instruments,
etc. I try to make it non-static, constantly evolving.
Dave Trenkel                                New and Improv Music
http://www.newandimprov.com         improv@peak.org
                 Now Available: Minus: Dark Lit
"This is music all-consuming in its beauty and power"
                                -Jake TenPas OSU Daily Barometer