Classical Music influences thread

George Crumbs "Black Angels" as performed by Kronos Quartet, which was
"inspired" by the war in Vietman, never ceases to have a powerful effect
on
me- it has the sound of someone shredding the physical body to get at some
kind of primal core of being held within, a kind of excorcism and
catharsis
of a soul in trauma, trying to break free of itself, violently,
apocalypticaly- heroicly.
Some works of art (not just music, of course,) are just so fertile
somehow,
like worlds you can travel in which somehow create a kind of
cloud of abstract (oh no, there it goes again), half-formulated ideas,
images, etc, which give rise to more ideas, more images, more music.

About a year ago or so I went to see a friend/musical collaborator who was
performing with raz mesinai of subdub and badawi. at one point during the
show some music was performed which made use of sampled (themselves, not
other musicians)/looped violins and cellos, treated with fx at times, that
really blew me away. anyone know of any experimenatl electro-acoustic/loop
oriented music/musicians in which the principle instruments are classical,
violins, violas etc, that they would recommend? You know, not steve reich,
philip glass repetitive structure composing technique kind of stuff, but
music in which the musicians make use of loopers, electronic sound design,
etc.

Also, not that the current thread is running out of steam, but how about a
"world" music influences thread? I've gotten ideas about looping (maybe
just
philosophical, maybe applicable also)from south asian, balinese, african,
and middle eastern music in particular. its really struck me many times
how
strange it is (maybe it isnt) that when listening to, just for sake of
example, a recording of moroccan folk musicians, the "tendency" to
repetitive, yet evolving structures, reminds me of loop-based electronic
music.

you see this in particular in religious, or mystically oriented music, so
its really, really interesting to me that so many people on our list, when
gettin' kinda personal about their feelings about the kind of music they
do,
use almost religious, definitly mystical terms.
peace,
j.