Re: memory and improvisation

some things come to mind about when i was first learning this concept:

i found that i was trying to pseudosophisticatedly make "good use of
negative space."
while i think it's important to be aware of the polar forces of sound and
silence,
it is easy to fall into the trap of intellectualizing the process rather
than
"letting it happen." in other words, the hose can be filled with
water/silence,
but pinching off the flow is a different thing altogether...

i remember stopping in the middle of a jam session because i thought i was
adding
to the "fog" and the drummer thought something was very wrong with that.
i think he experienced it as "suddenly colliding with a brick wall."
i wasn't looping at the time but it seems to illustrate your point.
on the other hand, my thinking was that, though i was playing guitar at
the time,
if i had been playing trumpet i don't think he would have expected me to
play continuously...