Re: New Thread: Classical Music Influences on Us

At 3:40 PM -0700 9/24/01, Rick Walker (loop.pool) wrote:

>Also, it is more abstract (please pardon my loose definition, Tom ;-)
>but have you guys/gals checked out 'Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima'
>by Krzysztof Penderecki?

This has been a big influence on me. I was introduced to the piece in
a class in the analysis of 20th century music at UCSC back in '77,
and I've used such dense layerings in my own music ever since. I
finally made my own Polish string orchestra piece in collaboration
with bassist Robert Black. In that case all the sounds were from
Robert's double bass playing: in some case multiple overdubs, in some
cases layered sounds using TC2290 delays with long delay settings and
feedback, in some cases layers of sampled arco bass on a MIDI sampler
(using lots of slow pitch bends). The resulting 8-track backing tape
was diffused though 12 surround speakers while Robert played solo in
a concerto relationship.

Penderecki's use of sound masses (or pitch bands, or noise bands -
whatever you like to call them) is related in some ways to similar
practice by Ligeti, Xenakis, and others, but Penderecki always does
sound like himself. I once heard him conduct a piece commissioned by
a factory. The sound of the orchestra quite resembled a huge assembly
line.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com