Re: memory and improvisation

> i wonder if it is possible to improvise entirely without licks... <snip>

I've wondered at times, that after lengthy exploration of your instrument
and it's normal and extended techniques, if you "run out" of completely
surprising moments available to you due to your familiarity with your
instrument? Not that I'm anywhere near something like that, but I do
sometimes feel that I've developed a "toolbox" of techniques and sounds
which I'm often compelled to try and reach beyond.

> interestingly the most spiritual moments i have had while improvising
>happened while i was feeling like the audience instead of the
>performer... maybe that's what it feels like to "be the hose"...

I can remember many times, realizing something amazing was happening among
<group of players> and gazing around with a goofy grin on my face and
seeing the others responses to the moment... knowing they realized it too.
The bond of the extraordinary.

Matthias wrote:
>>"Real improvising musicians dont remember what they play. Many can play
>amazing combinations of phrases they remember, but its just a collage of
>clichees. It really starts where we play what we dont know ourselves. ...
> improvisation takes a lot of very quick thinking!"

Assemblage of "known" phrases and response to others playing is pretty
much the bulk of what happens in improv. Truly reinventing oneself
(epiphany) and playing *entirely* new, unknown passages seems to be the
exception. Aspiring to that is the path, I guess... Using a combination of
a "blank sheet" approach to improv passages, and trying to think
thematically on my feet, seems to get me the most mileage. This presumes
that I and my partners are listening well and spontaneously reacting to
each other.

The fact remains, that all players are burdened by a certain range of
sounds and techniques available to them at any given point in their
career, and are bound by whatever limitations those imply. The creative
use of those are what takes it into the sublime.

-Miko