Re: memory and improvisation

so glad you are back.
this is the kind of thread that attracted me to this group.
(other than the gearhead stuff, of course)

i wonder if it is possible to improvise entirely without licks
("...phrases they remember...")  i don't mean just flashy bebop kind of
stuff,
even simple three pitch melody snippets and such. even the flashy
blistering note
explosions can be seen as simple three note concepts.  i don't want to
digress into
a discussion of schenker analysis here, though...

 i certainly have had moments when i was improvising where what i was
playing
was entirely new to me... i have even screwed up a good flow by wondering
how i was
doing something instead of just letting it happen.
carlos santana supposedly said that the musicians are the hose,
the audience is the garden, and music is the water.
the job of the improviser, then, is to be the best hose: to allow the
water/music to
flow freely through to the garden/audience.

anyone ever heard the midwestern (u.s.) expression "works like a hose" ?

interestingly the most spiritual moments i have had while improvising
happened
while i was feeling like the audience instead of the performer...
maybe that's what it feels like to "be the hose"...

but it seems to me that those new musical ideas that flow during
improvisation come mostly
from recombinations of other ideas in the musical meme pool rather than
entirely new concepts.